About the TownWelcome to our town's official website


Welcome to the official website of the Town of Mishicot, Wisconsin.

Located in the northeastern part of Manitowoc County, the Town of Mishicot has a wonderful mix of fertile farmland, rural homes, subdivisions and wooded areas adorned with streams and the beautiful East Twin River.

The Town of Mishicot is comprised of the rural area surrounding the Village of Mishicot and includes a portion of the unincorporated Village of Tisch Mills. There are approximately 1300 residents that are the framework of the friendly and hardworking families here, many of which have resided in the town for generations.

This website has been created to provide residents with a place to access information about the Town of Mishicot and its government. Please use it as a resource for information to keep you up to date with what is happening in your community.

Town Profile

Town Profile

Our History


The following is an excerpt from History of Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
By: Dr. L. Falge, Vol. 1, 1911-1912

The town of Mishicot was separated from the town of Two Rivers, November 15, 1852, and at that time included what is now the town of Gibson, which was detached from Mishicot November 9, 1858. The town was named after the Indian Chief Mishicot (meaning hairy leg), who was the grandfather of Benjamin Y. Mexico's mother, an Ottawa, and whose sway extended over the Twin River territory.The first settler was Daniel Smith in section 5, in 1844, who soon after erected a sawmill there. The first private school was taught by Miss Harriet Higgins. The first public school was established in 1849, with George Peterson as instructor. H. Cogswell was the first white child born in the town; this was in 1846. The first marriage was that of Nathan Daniels to Miss Sear in 1851. The first election was held April 5, 1853, Albert Borcherdt being elected chairman and Lorenz Peterson, clerk. In the same year the name of the town was changed to Saxonburgh [sic], owing to a large number of Saxons having settled there. The first of these (fifteen families) came in 1847, through the instrumentality of Frederick Borcherdt, who constructed a sawmill at Neshoto, five miles south, and who came here in 1841, being the first German to locate in the county. In 1854 the original name of Mishicot was restored to the town. Oldenburgers and Rhenish Prussians flocked into the town at about the time of its organization.

Among the early settlers were: J. Trossen, N. Trossen, J. Scheuer, J. Schmidt, J. Runge, 1847; Jul. Linstedt, F. Halberg, J. Mueller, F. Braassh, J. Altmeier, Peter Rau, 1848; H. Beyer, B. Soenksen, 1852; A. E. Selk, A. Cayo, 1854; L. Damon, L. Koehnke, 1855; H. Mueller, 1856.

Mishicot ranks highly as an agricultural town containing a large number of exceedingly well developed farms. It has also developed a large number of bright minds who have made their mark along political and professional lines.


The following is an excerpt from the Herald Times Reporter
Centennial Edition 1836-1936

At northern town limits of Mishicot is located the hamlet of Tisch Mills - named after Charles Tisch who erected sawmill and grist mills there in early sixties - place now contains flour mill, hotel, stores and varied other activities. After sawmill was in operation for years, Mishicot river overflowed banks which resulted in destroying operations so mill was never rebuilt - The pioneer continued in flour and feed business and later sold out to Charles Novotny who also managed mill for years.

One of the revenues of early settlers was hemlock bark hauled in wagons and sleds to Pfister tannery at Two Creeks. Fame also came to Tisch Mills from brewery erected for Anton and Bernard Langenkamp which later was sold to Kumbalek and Walecka. About 1900 village experienced a fire which destroyed the brewery - it was never rebuilt.

County Line house was one of first structures erected at Tisch Mills - owned by Joseph Stangel - later acquired by Joseph Lodl who in 1920 sold site to Tisch Mills State Bank. In pioneer days only post office was called "Nero post office" located at Two Creeks. The mail for villagers was conveyed weekly. When Joseph Stangel built the County Line house he provided the first post office. In 1884 the post office transferred to Stangel and Marshalek store - F. W. Stangel named postmaster and held office for 40 years until his death in 1924 - when Anton Olsen succeeded him.

On present site of Forst hotel was saloon owned and operated by Charles Novotny. It was later taken over by J. J. Elfner who managed business prior to building of modern hotel and dance hall by late W. R. Forst, who died in 1826 [sic]. William R. Wilsmann operates the Commercial hotel.

Organizing and equipping of Tisch Mills fire department took place in 1906 - hydrants were put in throughout the village - district now includes rural community within radius of mile of village. First telephone in Tisch Mills set up in 1887 and in 1910 County Line Telephone company organized by villagers - now has 200 subscribers.

Banking in the village launched in 1971 [sic] when Tisch Mills State Bank organized - in 1921 bank building erected.

Tisch Mills had one of early day brass bands - Schauer's band, organized in 1856 - had 10 members - first Bohemian band in this section - band continued down through the years - band now known as Tisch Mills brass band.

The following is an excerpt from the Herald Times Reporter
Posted Aug. 30, 2002
Stangel brother settled Tisch Mills

TISCH MILLS - Until 1850, Tisch Mills was a wilderness area.

In 1854, Joseph Stangel of Kossuth and his two brothers, John and Wencel, purchased a half tract for $3 per acre and began farming.

In 1867, Charles Tisch built a grist mill that carried the name Carlton Mills on it until 1879 when Tisch christened it Tisch Mills. The mill was destroyed by a flood in 1895 and never rebuilt.

The village has become a very popular bedroom community for people working at the two nuclear power plants in the area and also those who work in Manitowoc and Green Bay.

In addition, the community is the location for the Historic Forst Inn, a former rooming house/taproom restored by Manitowoc attorney Ron Kaminski.

He moved the Little Sandwich Theater, which he also founded, to the Forst Inn to perform its small cast productions on a regular basis.